Schools are closed, restaurants, bars, clubs and all non essential places are closed. This seems to have hit out of nowhere, right?
At this moment, most of the country can only make trips to the grocery store and their living room.
Classes are being conducted online and many individuals are working from home. This is all in an effort to stop the spread of COVID-19.
What is COVID-19?
According to Johns Hopkins, COVID-19 is the disease caused by the new coronavirus that emerged in China in December 2019.
How is COVID-19 spread?
COVID-19 can be spread from person to person through droplets from coughs and sneezes. The coronavirus is widespread, thus, considering it a pandemic.
How to avoid COVID-19
According to the World Health Organization (WHO), the best ways to prevent the spread of COVID-19 are as follows:
- Wash your hands regularly for 20 seconds with soap and water or alcohol based hand rub
- Cover your mouth and nose with a disposable tissue or in the corner of your arm when coughing or sneezing
- Avoid close contact with individuals who are not well
- Stay home and self-isolate from others in the household if you are not feeling well
- Do not touch your eyes, nose or mouth with unclean hands
All in all, please do not panic and follow all of the steps above to significantly decrease your chances of catching the virus.
Many people are in an uproar due to having to stay home, but, if we continue to listen to the advisories, we will get that much closer to returning to our normal lives.